Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Santa and a Day at the Mall

Here are the kids sitting on Santa's Lap. Caroline , Elijah, Allyson. Allyson wanted a picture for her MYSPACE! We went to lunch after Church. We thought Concord Mills would be packed but really the crowds were OK! Next year though we will go to Pro Bass Shop to visit their Santa. We found out he asked each Child now why do we celebrate Christmas? I was told by a friend that he is able to say that because he is not giving his opinion! Merry CHRISTmas. This will lead my views to Santa. Years ago I will confessed when my first two boys were younger and before I began my personal relationship with Jesus I was all about Santa. I did not even own a nativity...I remember saying you better be good or Santa will not come see you! As my relationship with Jesus has grown my views have changed of course! I feel it is okay for them to enjoy the fictional Santa Claus within reason:We don't treat treat Santa Claus as an entirely real person like I would treat the figure of Jesus Christ during this season. Caroline was six she noticed there was a Santa in every mall and every corner. I remember her telling me that she knew there was no way that one man could deliver gifts too all those kids on Christmas Eve. How could I ignore a comment like that. How could I say it is magic. ( We don't believe in magic or luck) This gave me the opportunity to share the true story of Santa. Some might think six is early but I really think because we did not put so much empathise on Santa but more on Christ that she started questioning who Santa really was even earlier. . Elijah this year has also started questioning Santa. I will admit that as a Julian family we are not perfect in keeping Christ the center. Robert and I both get caught up in the gift giving and the stress of it all. I really want to do a better job as a parent and as a Christian to focus more on Jesus. Not just at Christmas but year around. A friend Kim, just told me how her family does advent. The way they celebrate is so kid centered but still so Jesus focus that I plan to steal her idea next year! I will share next Christmas if you remind me. The MOST important fact is , If we can focus on the gift of Christ in the manager, YEAR around, we lay a foundation that their faith will be built on in future years.